Cant beat them join them…VW ends the days of a la carte options
Today VW dealers have to have their first 2012MY orders in place with VW. A day of bittersweetness as the era of ordering cars with a la carte options officially comes to and end. You used to be able to order a GTI with Xenons as the only option, not any more. Every VW bound for the US will be built in pre determined option packages just like Honda, Nissan and Toyota do it.
– Less complex build and ordering process for VW and dealers
– Easier for shoppers to shop different dealers as cars will be priced the same no matter where you go
– Much easier to find the car with the options you want.
– Less choice, some will hate to have to get a sunroof just because they want nav
– All stand alone 0ptions such as rear airbags go away